On a recent family holiday I re-found my love for nachos but using a few ideas and help with chopping from the rest of the party we produced this healthy tray to feed 12 people with ages ranging from 20 to 60 plus as a snack with a drink before dinner.
I made the recipe up as I went along but here’s a few tips so you can reproduce it.
- Use a big roasting tin and give it a light oiling before you start.
- Fill it about half way up with your favourite nachos. I personally don’t really like the flavoured ones and use the cheap own branded salted ones instead.
- Dot some refried beans over the top. These are simple to make. Fry some chopped onions and garlic until soft then add a drained tin of kidney beans and heat them through mashing as they dry out. Add some salt and spices if you like but I like them plainish to contrast with the spicy salsa.
- Make some salsa using chopped tomatoes, chilli, red onion, red pepper, lime juice, coriander and seasoning. Try not to make it too wet and if you get the chance let it stand for a while before you dot it over the nachos.
- Grate some cheese over it and pop in the oven at about 180C for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melting and edges are going crispy.
- Serve with some low-fat greek yoghurt and if you like it guacamole.