Cajun spices often come in a packet already mixed but if you do a bit of cooking you probably already have the right elements for it in the cupboard. This simple chicken dish is quick and full of flavour. I made a tangy toasted sweetcorn salsa to go with it and served it with a lime zest yoghurt and flatbread.
The recipe is for 2 people and is less than 500 calories per person even with a flat bread each. There was loads to eat so you could split this in three and still have plenty.
- 350g chicken breast (about two), cut into stripes
- 1 red pepper, seeded, half finely chopped, half cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- Half red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, 1 half finely chopped the rest cut into wedges
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 150g frozen sweetcorn
- 2 tsps rapeseed oil
- 50g low fat greek yoghurt
- 1 lime, zest and juice used separately
- Hand full fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tsps Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt &black pepper
What you do
- Put a large frying on a medium heat and add the sweetcorn.
- Toast it for 5 minutes or so until it’s going a little brown, shaking them round as you need to.
- Tip it into a bowl, mix it with the finely chopped chilli, onion, tomato and red pepper plus half of the fresh coriander and juice from half of the lime.
- Stir in some salt and pepper and put it to one side while you cook the rest.
- In another bowl mix the yogurt with the lime zest and a sprinkle of salt. Put aside too.
- Now back to the frying pan, put the oil in it and stir fry the rest of the onions and peppers until they start to colour and soften.
- Add the chicken and all of the spices and stir to make sure everything is coated and cooking nicely.
- If it is too dry add a splash of water and keep stirring it until cooked and all is coated. Five minutes will do it.
- Just before you serve it put in the other half of the lime juice and rest of the coriander.
Tips / Pointers
- This is good using pork fillet or prawns instead of chicken.
- Switch the bread with rice or couscous.