Chowders, for me, delivers a soup but with proper texture and it’s good for a meal alternative if you serve it with a chunk of whole meal bread.
Serves 2, 400 calories each.
- 1 medium (400g) sweet potato, peeled & diced small
- 1 spanish onion, diced small
- 200g sweetcorn, frozen
- 25g streaky bacon
- 100g scallops, cut into small cubes
- Small bunch of coriander
- 2 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 vegetable stock cube, made into 1 pint of liquid.
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Black pepper
- 1 tbs low fat greek yoghurt
- 2 tsps rape seed oil
What to do
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the pancetta until nicely brown over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, half the sweet potato, garlic and half the sweetcorn and cook until it is starting to colour and soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cayenne and mace.
- Cook for a minute and add the stock.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Use a stick blender to liquidise to a smooth consistency.
- Put the rest of the sweet potato and corn in to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes until cooked.
- Add the scallops and black pepper, stirring for a minute.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle of coriander.
Tips / ideas
- Switch scallops for some white fish or prawns.
- Serve with bread, pitta, toast or even crackers like they do in the US.