There used to be a restaurant near my apartment that did griddled wedges of lettuce served with a lovely blue cheese dressing. Sadly it closed but my memory of the dish lingers on. Blue cheese is a no-no so I have done a cottage cheese based dressing and served it with a beetroot and radish salad. It’s also a good reason to get out a pan that many of us have but often don’t use!
- 2 Gem lettuces, cut in half or quarters depending on size
- Pinch of garlic salt
- Spray of flora oil
- 50g low fat cottage cheese
- 1 tsp of capers
- 1 large gherkin, finely chopped
- Salt & black pepper
What to do
- Heat up your griddle pan until very hot.
- Spray the cut side of the lettuce with the oil and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Place on the griddle pan, cut she down and gently press them on to the pan.
- After about 3 minutes turn them over – try not to over cook them you just want a nice bit of charring.
- Finish them for another minute on the other side.
- While they are cooking mix the cottage cheese with the capers, gherkin salt and pepper.
- Serve the wedges with the dressing adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add a salad of your choice and a flat or pitta bread.
Even with the bread and salad I calculated the calories at less than 250.