I do love pickles and when I saw these golden beetroots in local store I couldn’t resist them as an excuse to do a quick pickling job on them!
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- 6 tsps golden caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tsps seas salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper corns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 or 5 medium golden beetroots
What to do
- Boil your beets in there skins until just soft (about 20 minutes) then let them cool in their water.
- Put all of the rest of the ingredients in to a saucepan and warm through gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Peel the beets (the skins should just slip off) and slice about 1/2cm thick slices.
- Put them in your jar and tip the vinegar and spices over and top up with water.
- Seal, cool and eat after a day or two.
Tips / Pointers
- Only use white or cider vinegar or you loose the golden colour of the beets.
- If you’re not a fennel fan switch in coriander or mustard seeds.
- Adjust the vinegar content depending on the size of your jar – if should be about 2 parts to 1 part water.
- If you put the lid on just before it cools you get a nice seal on the jar as it goes cold but make sure the jar is very clean (a hot cycle in the dishwasher is best) before you use it and the beets are covered by the liquid.