This autumn come winter dessert combines seasonal fruit with dark brown sugar, spices and rum. Serve with some low fat greek yoghurt with lemon and orange zest stirred through it. It is best cooked in a metal dish or roasting tin and served warm not hot. Serves 4 people. Left overs are great for breakfast on porridge.
- 8 plums, stoned, halved or quartered if large
- 4 small/medium apples, cored and cut into wedges (not peeled)
- 4 small/medium hard pears, cored and cut into wedges (not peeled)
- 4 satsumas (peeled) and split into 3 or 4 pieces each
- 50g dark soft brown sugar
- 5oml dark rum
- 8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange (use the zest for the yoghurt)
What to do
- Heat your oven to 200c.
- Place all of the ingredients in your tin/pan and gently mix them round with your hands so everything is nicely coated and any clumps of sugar are broken up.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until the pears/apples are just soft, shake part way through.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving but don’t over mix then cooked.