The challenge with most cranberry sauce recipes and pre-made jars of the same is the quantity of sugar and therefore calories in them. This can often range from 150 to 250 calories per 100g which even though you might not have much soon adds up. My recipe uses some pear and apple to add some of the sweetness and extra spices to ensure it has a festive taste. It is just under 80 calories per 100g, less than half the norm. I also think the added apple is good with the pork accompaniments that normally go with your Christmas meals. Make it ahead and store in the fridge for a week or two.
- 250g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced small
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and diced small
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- Pinch allspice
What to do
- Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan with a splash of water.
- Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Simmer slowly until the cranberries have burst and the apple and pear has softened.
- Boil it down until the mixture thickens slightly, then take off the heat and leave to cool.