This simple but spicy soup using some tinned ingredients and couple of tasty extras is great. I used ginger to give back ground heat and a nutmeg/clove spice combo for depth. Keep it chunky to make sure it satisfies!
- 1 tsp rape seed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 3cm ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt & black pepper
What to do
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger.
- After 10 minutes add the dried spices, stir and cook for another minute.
- Tip in the chickpeas (with the water) and tomatoes along with 250ml water you have washed the cans out with.
- Drop in the stock cube and sugar along with a good grind of black pepper then bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check the chickpeas are soft and give it a light mash with a potato masher to create a chunky come smooth consistency.
- Check for seasoning and serve with some fresh herbs and flat bread.
This makes 3 big portions @ 150 calories each.