There is a whole range of menus and options to “blacken” all sorts of meat and fish. I think tuna works well as it is best served a little under cooked inside so you don’t have to risk burning the outside to get a blackened taste and style.
- Tuna steaks
- Spice rub (you can buy some or make your own, this is my combo, which I have done proportions of depending on the volume you need use an appropriate spoon or weight):
- 1 x salt
- 1 x chilli flakes
- 2 x cayenne powder
- 2 x smoked paprika
- 4 x fresh thyme
- 1 x ground black pepper
- 1 x garlic powder
- 1 x ground nutmeg
- Rapeseed oil
- Lemon juice
What to do
- Dry the steaks with kitchen paper
- Put the spice rub on to a plate and gently coat each piece of fish but don’t over press it in or it will be too powerful when you cook it.
- Heat a frying to high heat put a small about of oil in to it.
- Fry the steaks for a couple of minutes each side and if they are thick use tongues to sear the edges.
- Finish off with a big squeeze of lemon juice and service.
- I like mine served on a bed of couscous / herb / vegetables with a wedge of lemon on the side.