Harissa paste can be made or bought. It’s a combination of smoked paprika, roasted peppers, oil, rose petals and cumin and a key Moroccan / Middle Eastern flavouring. I like it a lot. This recipe is for 2 people at 450 calories each.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 tbs harissa paste
- 100g bulgur wheat
- 4 dried apricots, chopped
- 350ml vegetable stock
- 100g baby spinach
- Salt & black pepper
- 150g raw prawns
- Lemon rind and juice
- Sprinkle of fresh coriander
What to do
- Heat the oil in a solid saucepan (that has a lid) and cook the onions for 10 minutes until soft and brown.
- Add the carrot and cumin and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Harissa paste followed by the bulgur wheat, apricots and stock.
- Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice and drop the prawns on top with the grated lemon.
- Cook until they are pink, sprinkled with coriander.