A good tomato sauce layered with griddled courgette and topped with a sprinkle of two cheeses, bread crumbs and fresh basil: what’s not to like! Serves two at less than 350 calories each.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- 3 medium courgettes, sliced lengthways into 5mm thick stripes
- 5g parmesan, finely grated
- 10g bread crumbs
- 75g mozzarella
- 1 fresh tomato, sliced
- 25g basil leaves and chopped stalks
What to do
- Make the sauce first by gently sweating the onion, garlic, carrot and celery in half of the oil until soft.
- Add the tomato and chopped basil stalks along with some seasoning and leave to slowly simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks, griddle the slices of courgette that you have covered with the remaining oil and seasoned. A couple of minutes on each side on a very hot griddle pan should be enough to half cook and get some nice scorch marks.
- In a baking dish layer the sauce, chunks of mozzarella and courgette.
- Top with the sliced tomato and a sprinkle of a mixture of the breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200c. Sprinkled with the basil leaves and serve with salad or some crusty bread if your diet allows!