This earthy curry is pretty simple to make and can be eaten on its own, with some rice, naan or as a side dish to another curry. Serves 4, approximately 300 calories per portion.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crush
- 2cm grated ginger
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 200g yellow lentils
- 1l vegetable stock
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced
- Small pack fresh coriander, chopped
- juice 1 lemon
What to do
- Heat the oil in a lidded deep sided frying pan and soften the onion, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the spices and half of the chilli and dry fry for a couple of minutes then stir in the lentils coating them in the spice mixture.
- Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes then add the potato and cauliflower and cook for a further 15 minutes or until it is just soft. Top up with more water if needed.
- Finish with the lemon juice, rest of the chilli and fresh coriander.