Mediterranean herbs, rice, courgette, garlic & onion, stuffed into tomatoes and slow roasted: what’s not to like! Lots of versions are around. You can change the rice for couscous or bulgar wheat and the courgette for some peas if you like. Serves 4 at about 250 calories each. Eat along side some fish or grilled meat and a green salad.
- 100g brown rice
- 8 medium / large tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped small
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium courgette, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
What to do
- Boil the rice for about 20 minutes (assuming the packet says 25 minutes, adjust if different) until just under cooked.
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes, scoop out the flesh. Put the pulp it in a bowl chopping it as you do and the bottoms in a baking dish ready to be stuffed. St the tops aside for later.
- Cook the onion in half of the olive oil until soft adding the garlic and courgette after 5 minutes. Cook gently until soft then stir in the tomato paste and reserved tomato pulp and part cooked rice.
- Simmer for a few minutes, stirring in the herbs and season as you go.
- Spoon the rice mixture into the tomato shells, put the lids back on, drizzle with the remaining oil and bake for an hour at 160c until soft.