The thing is there are loads of ways to make a tabbouleh so don’t get too hung up if you have things missing. But you need loads of herbs, bulgar wheat (although couscous, quinoa or lentils could be used), lemon and olive oil. Keep it fresh and if you’re watching the calories cut back on the bulgar wheat and add more herbs and salad items. Other things to add: courgette, pistachio nuts, pomegranate seeds, green pepper to name a few. This serves 4 as a side dish. 200 calories per portion. Picture shows some grilled lamb cutlets and charred lemon but it is great served with stuffed peppers, grilled haloumi or fish.
What you need
- 100g bulgar wheat
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 50g mint, finely chopped
- 50g coriander, finely chopped including some of the stalks
- 50g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 tbs, olive oil
What to do
- Cook the bulgar wheat as per the packet. Rinse with cold water and make sure it’s well drained.
- Mix all the the items together in a big bowl along with some salt and pepper.
- Save some of the tomato to sprinkle on top before you serve.