Fritters, fritters, more fritters. I love them. Polenta adds additional corn flavours and the pea based dip is a winner. Great as a starter or make small ones as a canapés or as a side alongside a main course like chilli.
- 75g polenta
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 300g frozen sweetcorn, blanched in boiling water and drained
- 200g frozen peas, cooked, drained and refreshed
- 2 salad onions, finely chopped
- Large handful coriander, leaves and stalks separated and chopped
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbs greek yoghurt
- 1 lime, juiced
What to do
- Mix the polenta, flour and salt. Beat the egg and milk, then whisk into the mixture until smooth. Stir in the sweetcorn, half of the onion and chopped coriander stalks.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, add tablespoons of the mixture and fry for 4-5 minutes turning once. You should get 12 that are about 4cm across.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you fry the rest, adding more oil if needed.
- Mash the peas in a bowl with a fork and add the tomato, lime juice, chilli, yoghurt and coriander leaves. Season and serve a teaspoon on top of each fritters.