A simple Southern Indian vegetarian curry with low fat and flavour. Serve with a chilli yoghurt dip and some flatbread or similar. Enough for 4 people.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 600g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 200g cavolo nero (or kale) chopped
- 150g frozen peas
What to do
- Roughly grind the cumin and fennel seeds in a mortar.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan with a lid and fry the ground spices and mustard seeds for a minute.
- Turn the heat to medium add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes then add the leeks. Put the lid on and let them cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Next add the mushrooms, stir and again put the lid on and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally add the rest of the spices, salt, cavolo nero and peas. Stir and cook again with the lid on for 5 minutes and serve. (If you use kale you will have to cook it for another minute or two before you add the peas).